Welcome to Salt Spring Island!
Facts & Figures
Salt Spring is the largest and most populated of all the gulf islands, with eighty three miles of breathtaking shoreline, sixteen pristine parks, eleven crystal clear lakes, majestic mountains, three villages and two challenging golf courses, all in one island paradise.
Size: 194 square kilometres (74 .9 square miles)
Population: approximately 12,000
Shoreline: 135 km (83 miles)
Roads: 650 km (410 miles)
Annual Sunshine: 2,004 hours
Annual Rainfall: 84 cm (34")
Highest Point: Mount Bruce 2,326 ft.
Movie Theatres: 1
Number of Gumboots: 225 million
Median Age: 50.1 years
Ferry Routes: 3
Salt Spring derives it's name from springs on the north end of the island. Is it Saltspring or is it Salt Spring? It was called Salt Spring Island by the Hudson's Bay Company in the early 1800's. In 1910 The National Geographic Board of Canada tightened it to one word. Local usage leans towards two. The phone book has 48 listings that begin with Salt Spring and a dozen that are Saltspring. The Canada Post Office insisted that it be spelled with one word a few years ago, but the protest was so strong that now the post office has agreed that two words are accepted.
Distances from Ganges:
Central: 4 km (2.5 miles)
Fernwood: 9 km (5.5 miles)
Beddis Beach: 6 km (3.5 miles)
Long Harbour: 6 km (3.5 miles)
Vesuvius: 7.5 km (4.5 miles)
Mount Maxwell Park: 11 km (7 miles)
Fulford: 14.5 km (9 miles)
Ruckle Park: 23.5 km (14.5 miles)
Ganges, the largest centre, is located mid-island on the waterfront and is home to an abundance of shops, galleries and restaurants. A popular destination for boaters, there are several marinas and docks. There are 2 gas stations, 3 banks, and dozens of businesses. It is an easy stroll from one end of town to another within a few minute with lots to sight see. A landmark mural is on a can buoy (formerly from the Skeena River) marking the entrance to Centennial Park. Orcas have been known to cruise the harbour and seals are usually present. Fisherman make their presence known with their fishing vessels tied up to the government dock in from of Centennial Park. In the summer, live theatre and musical performances may be viewed here. The Salt Spring Saturday market sets up on the main street of Centennial Park where local produce and local art and crafts may be viewed and purchased.
How did the village of Ganges get it's name? The Village of Ganges was named after a Royal Navy Battleship, the HMS Ganges that was built in Bombay India and constructed of Malabar teak. The ship was in the Pacific region from 1823-1861 and visited Salt Spring Island conducting land surveys under Rear Admiral Sir Robert Lambert Baynes. As well as the village of Ganges, Fulford Harbour and Southey Point, are named after the Captain and Crew.